Introduction & Goal
EngageFT currently provides an innovative technology platform enabling next-generation payment solutions, as well as offer complete white-label programs for companies in a wide range of industries. Targeting industries and use cases like digital banking, alternative lending, rewards, and benefits, to disbursements and payroll. I joined as the venture's first product designer, tasked with establishing a company-wide design thinking culture, and to completely reimagine all end-user products and administrative tools. The main goal was trying to disrupt an industry that historically was technology and business-driven by using a user experience-centric first approach.
Process & Experience
Within the first three years, I was able to build out an internal experience design team of 5 creatives. Completely rebranded the entire corporate venture. Established a centralized product team pattern library. Researched, tested, and entirely overhauled our core product offering suite - adding predefined styling and feature configurations to enable rapid program development and launch timelines. Launching 10+ payment card programs using the new product offerings showcase, while still designing each instance to the specific use case of the project/client. Each program usually consisted of a marketing site, signed-in web application, fully native mobile apps (iOS & Android), customer service portal, reporting and analytics portal, program configuration portal, administration enrollment portal, and an IVR system.
- Taking a two client venture and giving it rapid business growth by instilling a design thinking culture, helping to secure $11.25 million in Series A and Series B financing within the first few years, while increasing new client acquisitions by 76%.
- Partnering closely with Mastercard on multiple strategic projects, ultimately coming to acquisition talks at one point in the relationship.
- I was a significant factor in defining, designing, and selling our programs to large established institutions such as ADP, Amazon, BBVA, Mastercard, United Healthcare, Optum Bank, Care.com, Visa, FIS, etc.
- Drove key product strategies that ultimately helped inform the company of a critical business model pivot.
- Created two new impactful product tools to enable our clients to develop and run payment card programs much more efficiently. A multi-user developer portal, and a robust backend administration portal/tool.
An Example Case Study: Established Program Improvements -
(Monthly performance improvements year-over-year.)
- Enrollment Rate (%): +61%
% of users who start enrollment who complete enrollment successfully (33% vs. 53%)
- Activation Rate (%): +30%
% of enrolled cards that activate their card (46% vs. 60%)
- Monthly Bank Loads ($): +348%
The average $ load via external bank transfer ($126 vs. $563)
- Cancellation Rate (%): -93%
% of the total active card base that cancels in a month. (6.1% vs. 0.4%)
- Diminished ATM Use ($): -37%
The average amount withdrawn from an account at an ATM in a month. ($538.76 vs. $341.21)
- App Engagement (#): +24%
The average number of app logins per user in a month (8.9 vs. 11)
Specific Role Contributions
- Chief Experience Officer - Team Lead & Executive
- Hiring Manager for Design Team
- Researched and designed the core products user experience and configuration strategies
- Designed all sales visions and pitch presentations
- Designed all branding and styling for the venture
- Designed and solved all initial project visions
- Designed and built the initial centralized product pattern library
- Art Directed a team of 5-8 in creating multiple robust administrative web applications/tools
- Art Directed a group of 2 in documenting every flow of all our features, added them all into our centralized pattern library